Aerobics Can Help Benefit Chiropractic Care
There are many benefits of aerobics, which is defined by the Mayo Clinic as the repeated movements of large muscles in your arms, legs, and hips.
As a result, according to the Mayo Clinic, “you’ll notice your body’s responses quickly. You’ll breathe faster and more deeply. This maximizes the amount of oxygen in your blood. Your heart will beat faster, which increases blood flow to your muscles and back to your lungs. Your small blood vessels (capillaries) will widen to deliver more oxygen to your muscles and carry away waste products, such as carbon dioxide and lactic acid. Your body will even release endorphins, natural painkillers that promote an increased sense of well-being.”
When this happens, you’ll start to notice the difference not only in your body as the pounds begin to fall away, but also in your attitude, stamina, mental focus and overall fitness inside and out.
Aerobic Activity Benefits
Here are the top five benefits of aerobics:
- Cardiovascular Fitness: Consistent aerobic activity strengthens and protects your heart because it pumps more blood through your heart more efficiently. It results in increased heart health, less plaque in your arteries and better circulation. Your lungs and muscles also receive more oxygen as blood starts to flow more easily and efficiently throughout your body. Last, but not least, your heart rate is lowered at rest and during exercise because your heart no longer has to work as hard.
- Stress Reduction and Mood Enhancement: Aerobic activity releases endorphins, causing a natural high and a sense of well-being and relaxation. You’ll have a more positive outlook and experience a reduction of anxiety. In addition, you won’t be as hungry because exercise is a natural appetite suppressant.
- Weight Loss and Control: Aerobic exercise, when combined with a healthy diet, can help you lose weight and help you keep it from coming back.
- Health Risk Reduction: Aerobic activity can lower your risk of a host of diseases such as stroke, coronary artery disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Furthermore, as it boosts your immune system, the likelihood of colds and flu decreases.
- Increased Endurance and Energy: Regular aerobic activity reduces fatigue and causes us to sleep better. It allows you to feel energized at the end of a long day. It also gives your brain a boost of oxygen that results in improved mental function.
Aerobics and Chiropractic Care
Aerobic activity ranges from exercise classes at your local gym or community center, jogging/running, swimming, cycling, rollerblading, hiking and dancing to simply walking. All of these activities can put you on the path of aerobic fitness and better overall health.
Of course, before beginning any aerobics program or exercise or weight-training regimen, experts say you should consult with your doctor. In particular, your chiropractor can help you define an aerobic activity that fits precisely with the level of chiropractic care you are receiving.
For instance, according to experts at the American Chiropractic Association (ACA), if you’re being treated for a lumbar disc problem, then your chiropractor would advise against high-impact cardiovascular activity to guard against pounding forces that would be applied to your joints.
An alternative your chiropractor might suggest is walking as opposed to running on a treadmill, or trying a recumbent exercise bike or NordicTrack – something that’s not going to put compression on the joints.
ACA experts agree that while treatment and any coordinating exercise regimen need to be geared specifically to the patient, based on the injury, type of chiropractic care he or she receives from his or her chiropractor, and his or her preference, becoming aerobically fit will help patients on the road to pain management and recovery while staying fit and well in the long run.
To learn more about the wellness connection between aerobics and chiropractic care and understand how you can benefit from both, give Dr. Goldman in Medford at (631) 447-2299 today or contact us here.